No, I don’t mean thievery, although that is how this blend started. The Thieves blend essential oil is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary. This blend was used by thieves during the Black Plague. They would wear these herbs to steal from the houses of those who succumbed to the plague. Perhaps its the nurse side of me that finds this story particularly intriguing, but this is the most used oil in our house. Being a nurse, it is incredibly important for me to be able to be exposed to bacteria and viruses without becoming infected. I rub Thieves onto the soles of my feet before every shift. (You’ll never have to deal with foot odor again!)
Young Living has embraced the popularity of this oil to create a whole line of products, as seen in the picture above. If you haven’t signed up for Young Living yet, click here so you can buy these amazing Thieves products! Here’s how we put the different Thieves products to use:
- Thieves Essential Oil – My two favorite ways to use Thieves essential oil are by diffusing throughout our home, and by applying 3-4 drops on the bottoms of my feet before being exposed to illness (i.e. work, shopping or school). By diffusing Thieves it kills bacteria and viruses that linger in the air, and applying the oils to your feet protects you from known OR unknown exposure.
- Thieves Household Cleaner – I keep a spray bottle of this mixed up and ready to go AT ALL TIMES! I use it to clean the kitchen counters, the kitchen table, the bathroom counters and even to dust with from time to time, simply because it smells amazing. I also add a capful to my favorite steam mop before mopping to both disinfect my floors and make our house smell dreamy.
- Thieves Spray – I keep bottles of this everywhere and its one of my favorite products to gift people due to its versatility. Basically, it is ready to use Thieves Household Cleaner. I keep a bottle in my car, in the bathroom and my husband keeps a bottle in his desk at work. He sprayed his desk down daily during this past flu season and managed to avoid getting sick despite his office having critically low staffing due to the flu.
- Thieves Foaming Hand Soap – Nurse soap box warning: Antibacterial and antimicrobial soaps are unnecessary 99% of the time with the exception being in a hospital setting. In fact, the overuse of antibacterial soaps is partly to blame in the creation of superbugs. Its the friction that really helps remove the germs from your hands. However, I do love the Thieves hand soaps because I know it is naturally preventing germs from residing on my skin. It’s also one of a few scented soaps I can actually use without breaking out in eczema since the scents are all from naturally derived essential oils!
- Thieves Bar Soap – This is a total splurge! I don’t often get the luxury of bathing with scented soaps, see previous bullet. So occasionally my husband and I will pop for a bar of Thieves soap, just because!
Do I still use products like Lysol & Clorox? Yes, very rarely! I use Lysol when the dog or cat throws up and I want it super clean, but make sure to read the directions because it is only effective if it is allowed to air dry. Yeah, you’re busted! Clorox is what I use to clean our toilets because I’m a little bit of a germaphobe when it comes to toilets. Seriously… Gross! Other than those two uses, Thieves cleaner or my Norwex products do the job, 100%.
Check out more ways to clean with Thieves Household Cleaner below.
The statements in this blog are based solely on my experience and are not a substitute for professional medical treatment. This is not advice specific for you, simply what has worked for me.
This blog contains affiliate links from which I may receive monetary compensation. I assure you that I only recommend the products I use, personally, for me and my family. Full disclosure policy here.