Peppermint patties are a refreshing treat. Even though they are packed full of sugar the sweetness is cut by the peppermint flavor which pairs perfectly with chocolate. I get asked every Christmas if I’ll be making them. They are a crowd favorite!
Don’t let yourself be intimidated by candy-making especially since this is about as straightforward as you can get. I’ll walk you through it as always!
First, let’s make the filling by combining the shortening, corn syrup and powdered sugar. Knead the ingredients together before adding in the peppermint oil to taste. Shape the filling into patties just slightly larger than a quarter. Freeze the patties before dipping.
Before removing the patties from the freezer, melt your chocolate according to package instructions. (You can buy the chocolate melts on sale for next to nothing at your local craft store. The link is to help you know what to buy.) Then dip your frozen patties into the chocolate with a fork. As shown above, tap off excess chocolate by tapping the fork on the side of the bowl. Place the dipped patties on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and freeze or refrigerate until chocolate is set.
Once the chocolate is set, package your peppermint patties for the perfect gift! Happy candy making!
- 1/3 C. Shortening
- 1/3 C. Light Corn Syrup
- 1 lb. Powdered Sugar
- 1 lb. Milk or Dark Chocolate Melts
- 1 Bottle Peppermint Oil Flavoring
- Combine shortening, corn syrup and powdered sugar together in a bowl. Knead together until well combined. (If the mixture appears too thick, add a little corn syrup. If the mixture seems too thin, add some powdered sugar.)
- Once filling is well combined, start adding in the peppermint oil until you have reached the desired flavor.
- Roll small balls of filling and flatten into a patty.
- Put patties on wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl according to package instructions. Stir frequently.
- Using a fork, dip frozen patties into melted chocolate. Rest patty on fork and tap fork on side of bowl to knock off excess chocolate.
- Place dipped patties on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze or refrigerate patties until chocolate is set to increase sheen of chocolate.
This blog contains affiliate links from which I may receive monetary compensation. I assure you that I only recommend the products I use, personally, for me and my family. Full disclosure policy here.