A Southern classic if ever there was one! I wasn’t lucky enough to try Coca-Cola Cake until I was out of college. A co-worker brought some into work and changed my life forever. What with the stress of impending surgery, I started craving this lovely take on chocolate cake. Luckily I found a recipe pretty quickly, and we had all the ingredients in the pantry. 😛 Yum!
Coca-Cola cake is a super simple, light and fluffy chocolate cake topped with a chocolate glaze, a.k.a. the “wow factor.” The hot glaze is poured over this hot cake and it works its way through the cake. Now I’m going to have to go make this, I’m making myself hungry!
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, ground cinnamon and sugar, set aside. (Sifting is very important to achieving a smooth-textured cake.) In a medium-sized saucepan, combine butter, cocoa powder, Coca-Cola and buttermilk. On high heat, bring these ingredients to a boil. Pour boiling mixture over dry ingredients and whisk together. Then whisk in egg and vanilla. Pour batter into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze. Boil together butter, cocoa powder and Coca-Cola. Sift in powdered sugar and pour over cake immediately after removing from the oven. (Make sure to sift in powdered sugar to achieve a smooth glaze.)
For best results, let the glaze start to harden before slicing and enjoying.
– 2 C. All-Purpose Flour
– 2 C. Sugar
– ½ t. Salt
– 1 t. Baking Soda
– ½ t. Ground Cinnamon
– 1 C. Butter
– ¼ C. Cocoa Powder
– 1 C. Coca-Cola
– ½ C. Buttermilk
– 2 Eggs
– 1 t. Vanilla Extract
– ½ C. Butter
– ¼ C. Cocoa Powder
– ½ C. Coca-Cola
– 4 C. Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, ground cinnamon and sugar, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa powder, Coca-Cola and buttermilk.
- On high heat, bring ingredients to a boil.
- Pour boiling mixture over dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Then whisk in egg and vanilla.
- Pour into greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Prepare glaze while cake is baking.
- In a small saucepan, boil together butter, cocoa powder and Coca-Cola.
- Remove from heat and sift in powdered sugar.
- Pour glaze over cake immediately after removing from oven.
This blog contains affiliate links from which I may receive monetary compensation. I assure you that I only recommend the products I use, personally, for me and my family. Full disclosure policy here.