A couple weeks ago I got a craving for some lemon cookies. After looking at loads of recipes I settled for a personally modified version. I had to give it my own twist, after all. Lemon cookies just happen to be my husband’s favorite too. Now, why do I bother with cooking and baking from scratch? It’s cheaper. Buying pre-made or mixes costs more because someone else (or a machine) has already done a lot of the work. It an effort to keep our costs down I’ve been self-teaching myself to make more and more from scratch which means I’ll be teaching you more, also. I’ve made these lemon cookies three times in two weeks. My husband has been the primary cause of their disappearance, but we’ve had to spread the love to others.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine your dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add in the whole egg, then the egg yolk, lemon just and vanilla one at a time. While on the lowest speed start adding a scoop of the dry ingredients one after the other until all the dry ingredients are just combined.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out heaping teaspoonful’s of the dough onto the cookie sheet being sure to space the cookies out, they spread! Use your fingers to gently shape the dough into balls and pat the tops down. They should look like this:
Bake the cookies for 9 – 11 minutes or until the edges are just slightly golden brown.
While the cookie are baking its time to make the glaze. Combine the confectioner’s sugar with 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Continue to add lemon juice a few drops at a time until the glaze reaches a honey consistency.
While the cookies are still warm on a cooling rack, spread the glaze on the tops of the cookies. Leave a small perimeter around the edge. Let the cookies cool and the glaze harden completely before storing in an airtight container.
Glazed Lemon Cookies
- 2 C. + 2 T. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 T. Cornstarch
- ½ t. Baking Soda
- ½ t. Salt
- ¾ C. Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 ¼ C. Sugar
- 1 ½ T. Lemon Zest ( 2 Lemons)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 T. Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ t. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- Add in one at a time the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over work the dough.
- Scoop out heaping spoonful’s of dough onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and gently pat the dough down to flatten it out.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Top with lemon glaze while cookies are still slightly warm.
This blog contains affiliate links from which I may receive monetary compensation. I assure you that I only recommend the products I use, personally, for me and my family. Full disclosure policy here.