I discovered early on in my relationship with my husband that he didnt eat breakfast. Well, I couldn’t handle not fixing this huge problem! After all, I’m a nurse who understands the need for the most important meal of the day. Breakfast sets your metabolism into motion. It gives your body fuel for the day, and a well balanced breakfast helps stabilize your blood sugar too. However, finding foods that my picky-breakfast-eater hubby would enjoy day after day has been a challenge. This weekend I created a recipe of my own, and when my hubby tried these burritos for the first time he said, “I guess you figured out how to get me to eat breakfast everyday.”
These burritos are very customizable. If you can put it in an omelette you can pretty much put it in this burrito.
Here’s what you need for a base:
- 10 flour tortillas (whole grain would work too)
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 8 oz shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (but any shredded cheese you want would work!)
- 1/4 C. milk
From there you can get creative! I added:
- 1/2 lb. cooked sausage pieces
- 1/8 C. diced jalapeños
Try to avoid watery additions like salsa because that will affect your eggs, but you could add chopped veggies, veggie sausage or a variety of meats.
- Break all 1 dozen eggs into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk them together.
- Add milk, 1/2 the cheese, sausage and jalapeños. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into your frying pan on low to medium heat.
- Cook the eggs thoroughly, removing excess liquid. Liquid is your enemy when it comes to freezing foods.
- Once the filling is cooked, warm your tortillas between two moist paper towels for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Put your filling in the middle of he tortillas and sprinkle a little of the remaining cheese on top of the filling to help create a seal once melted
- Fold the edges of your tortilla in – this will keep the filling from falling out.
- Tuck the side nearest you over and roll! Voila! You just made a breakfast burrito.
- Now wrap the burrito in plastic wrap or something like it to keep it fresh. I put all of the burritos into a large plastic bag to help contain them in my freezer.
To reheat: Place burritos in the microwave from 1 1/2 minutes. Enjoy!
This blog contains affiliate links from which I may receive monetary compensation. I assure you that I only recommend the products I use, personally, for me and my family.