I always want a lip balm handy, but I can’t pronounce over half the ingredients. Seriously, what is octyldodecanol?
Today, I’m going to share with you how to make lip balm with only four natural ingredients.
What you need:
- White Beeswax Pellets (Make sure to use pellets as solid forms of beeswax will take too long to melt.)
- Virgin Coconut Oil* (I recommend Trader Joe’s brand)
- Unrefined Shea Butter
- Optional: Essential Oil of your Choice (I only use and recommend Young Living, enroll here.)
Combine in a double boiler:
- 1 Tablespoon Beeswax Pellets
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Shea Butter
- 10 drops Essential Oil** – Add just before pouring
Heat these ingredients on low-medium until they are all melted and combined. Add your Essential Oil and stir in just before you remove from the heat as heat exposure can alter essential oils. Pour your lip balm into small containers (like these) and leave at room temperature until solidified.
Amazon sells all sorts of cute lip balm containers if you are looking to give them as a gift.
*When using coconut oil to make your own beauty products, make sure to melt it in a double boiler. Microwaving coconut oil can breakdown nutrients in the oil. Coconut oil also has a very low burning point, and overheating can cause it to catch fire.
**Peppermint, lavender, grapefruit and tangerine make great flavors for lip balm.
This blog contains affiliate links from which I may receive monetary compensation. I assure you that I only recommend the products I use, personally, for me and my family.